Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Olympic Theater

This place is one of Vicenza’s big attractions (it and the Basilica, which is closed for restoration, so I don’t know when I’ll get to see it). I had walked around the courtyard earlier, back in September, and I thought then that it was pretty cool, but I had no idea.

The courtyard IS nice: a little stone pathway, benches, flowers, ivy-covered brick walls, statues (some moss-covered, but that lends to the this-has-been-around-awhile feel of the place), and a little corner balcony overlooking it all. You enter through an arch with an iron sign: “Teatro Olimpico.” Plus, you can see a castle tower right outside.

When I went inside a few weeks ago, I was initially a little disappointed. The €8 entrance fee was pretty steep compared to other sites, especially in the area. I also got the €3 audio guide, which was extremely dry—dude couldn’t have sounded less excited (main thing I got from it was the theater's association with Hercules, but don't ask me to explain it because I don't have time to google it). The first two rooms are not very exciting. They are frescoed with what looks like marble columns and stone reliefs and they have big timber beams on the roof, which are nice, but no €8 worth.

But then you go into the actual theater and you see why the steep ticket price. The wooden bench seating is very simple, but everything else in the room is magnificent. When we were there, they waited until our small group was seated and then the lights went out and music came on and there was a light show of sorts. My friend said it would probably be the closest thing to an opera she’d ever be. The “show” lasted about 8 minutes. Then the lights came on and we were free to walk around and try to take it all in.

The stage itself is obviously the main focus. Or rather, the backdrop. It is a large wall with three entry points. The wall is pillared with statues in niches—it looks like marble, but Rick Steves says it’s wood and stucco. The coolest thing is behind the wall. Through the main center archway, and the two smaller entry points on either side, we see streets that go off into the distance. Along the streets are more buildings, with more statues. It looks like an entire city is right there. It is a perspective trick, but the main street really does go back 40 feet.

All around the bench seating is a colonnade topped with more statues and the ceiling is painted with blue sky and clouds. It really gives you the feeling of an outdoor amphitheater. It also was cold in there, but I don’t know if that was a design choice. This is Andrea Palladio’s design, but he died before it was built. Palladio, as I think I’ve mentioned, Vicenza’s pride and joy, was THE architect of his day (1500’s). He was all into classical Roman style. Hence the column multitude.

Anyway, I’m not doing the place justice. Neither do my pictures since a flash was not allowed (but at least they allow something). I still think the entry price is expensive—you really can’t spend more than 30 or 40 minutes in there. So, like when the in-laws come, we’ll take them to see it, but I think I’ll send Hubby in with them (he hasn’t been inside yet) and save my money.

I plan to go again when they have a show!

3 Comments:

At February 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how ideas of what part of an experience is ost important change over time? Now anyone who planned a theatre as a feast for the eyes and ears but left the body sitting in the cold on a bare wooden bench would face serious criticism rather than being celebrated as a genius. So when you go to your first opera, bring a cushion and a blanket. Or maybe if the acoustics match the quality of the decor, you will be so mesmerised by the performance you won't notice anything else. It looks like a wonderful place.

 
At February 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM , Blogger Meagan said...

I just tried to post, so not sure if it worked...

 
At February 9, 2009 at 2:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The theatre looks amazing! I am jealous of all of the cool stuff you are seeing. I hope you are still enjoying living over there. I will try to catch you on skype again soon as we haven't talked in forever. Tell everybody Hi for us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home